"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." - Psalm 139:13-16 (NIV)


Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I have to share this one..........We have a children's book titled........."WHY ME?" it was written by Julie Parker, we received this from our Occupational Therapist. It's a book that explains that everyone is different and it's ok to be different because we're all still the same. It reinforces that it's ok to ask questions and encourages children to accept who they are as well as others. My husband and I decided a while back that when the kids start school at the beginning of the year we should always advise the teacher, that we'd like the book to be read or one of us could read it ourselves to the class. Because the Kindergarten teacher is so great we decided to let her read it to the class. I read the book the night before to my M&M's and they enjoyed it as usual. I slipped the book into my little guy's folder and told the teacher to read it the class whenever she felt it was appropriate. She read it the same day and it turns out all the kids enjoyed it as well. She said they all began to name different things that were different about them. The M&M's were excited that it was their book and the class thanked them for bring it.
The most remarkable part of this story is this.........According to the teacher, after the story was over, my little guy decided on his very own to stand before the class and tell them about his hand. I can only imagine what he said...........this is one of those proud mommy moments that make me cry tears of joy when I try to picture it. I picture him standing before the class, saying he was born this way......that when he was in his mommy's tummy, his hand stopped growing..........that he can still do a lot of things, he just does it differently..........that he can still play basketball and football.......and that he's still way cool!  These are all things that we've said to him.........that we've heard him repeat to others. Wow I love these proud mommy moments!

No comments: