"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." - Psalm 139:13-16 (NIV)


Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Meltdown……

Today Mason had a meltdown…. It was a typical Wednesday morning.




Getting up and getting prepared for a day at school. Wake Baby girl up first, go potty, wash up, brush those tiny teeth, comb her hair, lotion up, get dressed……check! That went off without a hitch. The pretty princess is ready for school.


Big boys turn….. Wake him up, go potty, wash up, brush his teeth, brush his hair, lotion up, and get dressed, check! Wow, this was too easy….. “Hey guys, watch Nick Jr. until mommy finishes getting herself together for the day”….. Cool beans….everything is smooth sailing. Hop in the truck on the way to school, listening to Veggie Tales & singing nursery rhymes all the way….traffic isn’t too terribly bad this morning. This is a shocker because everyone is back to school today, so I expected school buses to be everywhere.


OK, time to get out the truck and start heading to the preschool classroom…..and here comes trouble. First it’s…..“No, I’m not getting out, I’m staying in here!” Then in the classroom, I’m getting everything from, “No, don’t go to work, mommy! I don’t want to stay here” to the tugging of my pants pocket. Snot is flying everywhere, mommy is sweating bullets & Mason just refuses to let go of my leg or pants pocket, whichever he is holding onto at the time. Meanwhile, Madison is shouting ever so proudly, “I’m a good girl mommy, I want you to leave!” Wow, I don’t know how I feel about that but OK, back to my first born child Mason…….After nearly 30 minutes of him not relenting, I see more parents experiencing similar scenarios.....but, for some reason theirs only last a couple of minutes......What is going on here? So not fair!
I realize today there is a magic show at school and I forgot to bring cash to pay our $6. So….I tell the teacher I have to go to an ATM machine. I was supposed to be at work 10 minutes ago and now I’m going to be even later getting there because I have to drive to an ATM and come back. GREAT!


So what now? I whisk my “not so” little one up on my hip, put him in his car seat, tell the teacher and my baby girl, I'll be right back and head to the ATM machine. Of course by now, my poor little guy has calmed down and is just a happy little camper, asking “where are we going?” I explain to him the magic show is today and we have to get money. I ALSO explain to him that mommy has to go to work and if everything is ok with him, (he's feeling fine and nothing is hurting) he has to be a big boy and go to school like his sister and all of his friends. After our conversation, I call my supervisor and my husband….. you guessed it, voicemail for both. I probably sound like a nutcase, voice trembling and visibly upset. We arrive back at school…. I gave him the money and said, “will you be a big boy and give it to your teacher?” He nods his head in agreement. We walk into the school, hand in hand. Somehow, that worked and all was well in Mason’s world. Yay!


For the most part, Mason doesn't have these types of situations when going to school…… The teacher explained that there have been a lot of changes and a couple of new kids in the class. Could he be having trouble adjusting to these minor (in my opinion) changes? He and his sister have been at this school since they were 18 months old, the teachers adore them, so what's the deal……  so my mind goes crazy now and wait.....what if…..wait......are the new kids giving him trouble about his hand? Is he getting hit with too many questions? Is someone being mean to my baby? Ok, Lord……I need you to be where I can’t be…..show me what’s going on with my child, before I have a meltdown.

No comments: